Old 08-18-2023, 09:31 PM   #33
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Porsche keeps their customer racing cars NA, because that's what the customer wants (and somewhat for BOP). I would challenge you to overheat any modern turbocharged porsche street car at the track, regardless of conditions. You might find it much more difficult than you think, whereas a C7 Z06 won't even survive a few laps in the desert. The price points are justified by the respective performances.

117F ambient was where I hit the tipping point, combined with the minor elevation of WSIR. WSIR also has a TON of WOT time, something like 70% of my lap is at WOT, even with a turbo.

As @NoHaveMSG mentions, directing the air is more important than just having a larger cooling system.
A big point that is really being missed in this conversation of OEM engineering versus the aftermarket is that the OEM's spends millions of dollars in development for their respective FI platforms because they know they are going to sell 10's of millions or even more worth of product. The aftermarket is selling parts to bolt on to platforms that were not built to take what is being thrown at them.

Sure, you can "solve" the problem with money on cooling mods but that doesn't really address the fact that we're polishing the proverbial turd.

You can spend even more money on aftermarket blocks, pistons, cranks, etc. to build a FA20 that can handle boost over the long term but by the time you spend all of that you may as well just buy the OEM boosted platform that was built to do this in the first place.

Of course that wouldn't be any fun.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote