View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #113
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Put the car on "platforms" made of 6"x6" lumber and crawled under the car to see how much space there is between the tire and the coilover spring. On the passenger side I can easily slide the fattest hex bit through so let's say 10mm of space, on the affected driver side I need to squeeze the same bit through so let's say 9.5mm of space. I doubt the tire can stretch that much toward the spring but who knows? I got 25mm spacers just in case and will put them on to test.

Went to a tire shop and got two new tires installed, they looked at the destroyed sidewall and said because there is no evidence of the tire rubbing against the spring (no shiny circle like in the previous case) it is highly unlikely the tire rubbed against the spring. We both wondered if the sidewall cannot simply take the abuse with the added aero. One thought is to run more psi hot, I am usually at 28-29 hot so maybe stay at 32 or so and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps the sidewall compresses and uncompresses too much and gives out?
Attached Images

Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote