soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post
OK, a friend says I can download his collection tomorrow. I have a flash drive (not sure if it qualifies as low profile, it's 1.5"x3/4"x3/8" with the socket retracted) at 256GB.... and the friend says I should check to see if the car can accept one with that much capacity, his newer Honda won't take one anywhere near that big. Is this known?
just a forewarning, the usb drive can be a major rabbit hole. if you've got computer-literate kids/neighbors, it's be worth giving them $50/or let them drive the car around the block, to setup correctly.

1. the flash drive must be formatted correctly. i believe it must be fat32, though each format has size restrictions.

2. the files must be of a specific type/bitrate. many oem radio's don't just support 'everything'.

3. everything is organized by folder. can be a major pain to set up, it depends on how the friends music is cataloged.

4. the way the music is tagged digitally effects what displays on the screen, but also the order in which things are played. this again comes down to how the friends music is cataloged.

5. size of the flash drive does matter--smaller drives will load faster than larger drives. i tried keeping my entire library on a 250gb flash drive. it can take upwards of 5 minutes for it to start playing a song