View Single Post
Old 07-18-2023, 08:02 PM   #632
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,983 Times in 11,396 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
How to break your car without really trying...

Went on a 1,000 mile round trip road trip this weekend to visit my favorite aunt how is going through some health issues and I hadn't seen her in a while.

On the way back, I noticed every once in a while, the radio/nav would restart. I thought, geez radio must be going out, but heck I want to upgrade anyway. It did these two or three times over 75 miles.

Then I noticed it did it when the car bumped. Agh, something must be loose, but it's only the radio, no big deal will fix it when I'm home.

Didn't happen again for 150 miles.

Then I went over one of those bridges that really needs repaving. The car bumped several times in a row and cruise control went out with the radio. Then about 5 bumps later the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, but the car never stop running. Before I could slow down and pull over it did it about 4 more times. Everything stopped by the time I pulled over.

The car now will not turn over, even though all the lights on the dash are on. I can't put it in park, the radio doesn't work and the windows won't roll down. The A/C is off (in 98-degree weather with 100% humidity in South Carolina).

I get out and what I find is that the backside of the battery tie down is missing, and the other two pieces are laying on top of the battery. The battery itself was exactly where it should be but I suspect it was shorting out on the hood or grounding on something around the battery when it "jumped".

Call emergency services, get the car towed to the nearest dealer as I don't know any of the shops in North Augusta, SC (300 miles from home). This is Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately, MomHawk found me a real nice place to stay, and the innkeeper and his wife were very helpful and accommodating.

(Free plug, if you are ever looking for a place to stay in the Augusta, GA area I highly recommend https://www.lookawayinn.com). The rates were better than ANY hotel that was more than 1 star and the accommodations were great, which is good since I was stuck there Sunday through Tuesday AM. They even drove me to the dealership.

Turns out that the main fuse block for the alternator tripped, as well as about 4 others. And of course, the battery tie down.

The Toyota dealership did not have the right fuse block, or the tie down, so had to wait an extra night. Kudos to them though because they were very busy in their Service Department but took the time to put me at the front of the line and keep me update.

Honestly, I've always been leery of the battery tie down in the FRS. It's an overly complex piece of junk. I'm surprised others haven't had issues with it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-18-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-19-2023), Code Monkey (07-18-2023), humfrz (07-19-2023), soundman98 (07-18-2023), Spuds (07-18-2023), tarzan_nojane (07-18-2023), Teseo (07-18-2023), villainous_frx (07-18-2023)