View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 02:27 PM   #117
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the RE71r-s? Do they heat cycle out as fast as the old version?

I am about due for tires, and see they have some good specials on tire rack right now. I liked the AO52, and the rt660 have been "ok", and only have them due to availability last time I bought tires.
The current subjective data I'm hearing is they're basically good to the last drop, similar to Yoks. I guess tire manufactures are figuring out we don't like tires that heat cycle out when the tread is halfway gone.

Of course that's not to say they won't fall off a bit in the later stages of their life, but they perform much more like A052's and you're at least going to be up there at locals for example. RT660's fall heavily off and my two sets of old RE-71R's kinda did the same, just not as heavily as the 660's.

If you're really going for nationally competitive times, it still seems the Yoks are the way to go when you have an ST setup with loads of camber. Most street guys are running the 71Rs now with limited camber.

Really comes down to availability, price, and what you're looking to get out of them. If you're more locally competitive, you need tires, and they're on sale, they'll get the job done.

Looks like they're $831 shipped without a TR card in 245/40/17. Yoks in the same size are $1k even.
DocWalt (07-13-2023), ka-t_240 (07-13-2023)