View Single Post
Old 06-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I started driving the GR86, the clutch bite point felt way too high. Turns out I was just so used to my WRX's way too low bite point. It was literally on the floor. I sometimes think the GR86's bite point migrated down a bit since new but I'm sure I've just gotten used to it being where it should.

Now that I'm used to that I struggle to see why people hate it (with spring in place) so much. The only thing about the 86 that makes driving smoothly more difficult for me is the sub-par throttle response.

The GRC has a light, linear feeling clutch pedal too. Wonder if it has a similar helper spring setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
About the GR Corolla, you mentioned under 3000 RPM it behaves like an NA Corolla - how does that feel in urban settings? I really value immediate torque from NA engines when wanting to punch it around a corner, and love my BRZ because of it (along with the RWD dynamic).
I find I need to shift all the damn time to not feel like I'm bogging it. I don't get into 6th unless cruising ~53 mph or more. Any uphill grade I usually drop down a gear, sometimes even on highway. It's OK because the shifter is such a joy to row and the throttle response is incredibly good. The 2.4 in the 86 feels like a freakin V8 in comparison. Of course the tables turn dramatically once in the boost. The old school boost lag is honestly one of the GRC's most endearing features. Anyone who heavily values a good engine note and some drama over pure speed will not find a more satisfying tarted up econobox type vehicle on sale today.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-19-2023)