View Single Post
Old 06-13-2023, 08:03 AM   #40
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FWIW, original question asked by me, was not about going faster, but just avoiding having to add ballast to the car more as a matter of convenience than anything. When I lost the ABS on the S2000, my lap times did not suffer much as the brake balance was not so bad.

In the end I added ballast because I did not want to disable ABS without having a very good idea about what to expect. But then at Watkins Glen, ABS went *insane* and I *had* to pull the fuse! The car was OK-fine to track without the ABS, but somewhat front-biased and I wasn't able to brake nearly as late or as hard vs. with ABS. Ran the following season with ABS fuse pulled, then at Palmer corded a Hoosier with front lockups, doh... Killed my TT, in retrospect I shoulda put the corded tire on the inside rear and had at it for the 3-lap TT! After that I tentatively tried running ABS on track again and found that it worked fine for me, everywhere but at Watkins Glen, where I'd get an ABS warning light and after that pretty much have to pull in and yank the fuse or get massive asymmetric front lockups at modest brake pressures...

Anyway, I always thought ABS on the '17 PP did a great job at the track, as opposed to some Porsche and BMW systems that go into weird "ice mode". Right up until it tried to kill me. Hopefully the system in the '23 can deal with Watkins Glen without going insane like the '17 did...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (06-13-2023), ML (06-13-2023)