Old 06-04-2023, 05:50 PM   #485
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
for the time being, it seems like ev companies just simply need to figure out how to maintain the existing charging station network.

i have very little faith that a common-type battery will ever exist. every brand is too far different between connectors, voltages, and packaging styling.

do you recall what a fiasco V2V communication that-never-came-to-be was for the last 30 years? the US government even came together enough to have a specific part of the radio frequency spectrum allotted for it even. there were very few downsides to the idea, and would've definitely helped people be more informed in traffic situations.

but we never even got V2V within the same brands worked out enough that it passed the conceptual phase.

myself, now working on ford and international/chevy trucks, the entire build process and materials used is entirely different. they all accomplish the same end-goal of a functional vehicle, but the design goals and processes used to meet that end-goal are not compatible at all with each other.

to get a cross-compatible battery design would require brand collaboration to an extent that makes V2V communication look like childs play.
My guess is that if any manufacturers see the success Nio has made with battery swapping, and if they want to differentiate themselves, they could collaborate with multiple manufacturers on a shared standard for charging.

Manufacturers already work together to build cars on a shared platform like the 86, and manufacturers also invest together like Toyota owning Subaru stock or Toyota and GM having a shared manufacturing plant before Tesla owned it. Modular platforms can often be involved in multiple models across multiple brands like VAG and the Jetta, Golf, Tiguan, TT, A3, Q3, etc. With the skateboard design, there are even more opportunities to create a similar standard. The government could make it happen faster, but collaborations for a shared standard will happen at some scale in order to have battery swapping and in order to share in the investment in building a swapping network. Especially when multiple companies will be sourcing batteries from third party manufacturers/suppliers.