View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #145
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,997 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The dealer where I have my order called on Friday and offered me their "Customer Experience" LYRIQ for the weekend. Had to jump on that.

First impressions, it is every bit the "luxury car" ride that most reviewers said it was. It is also eeriely quite, more so than any other EV I've ridden in. Basically all you hear is the slightest bit of tire noise, and the fake acceleration noises (which I need to figure out how to turn off).

Everything feels top notch, except maybe the control dial in the console. It does have the "hefty" feel I would want.

The best part is SuperCruise. That's some serious black magic there. Of course, it doesn't work on every road, but on my 40 mile commute made up of state roads including some two lane, it covered about 75% of it, including a good portion of the two lane roads.

I'll admit I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown using it on the two-lane road, but it performed flawlessly. Also gave plenty of notice when it had to turn over the controls. It maintained a good distance on either type of road, and "self passed" perfectly on the four lane (I don't think it will do it on a two lane). It even handled a situation where a car in front of me made a last second right turn. It slowed down and changed lanes to avoid it.

Acceleration is better than the FRS (no surprise there even with it's EV slow 5.7sec 0-60) but is definitely tuned towards luxury from a standstill. The power comes on "gradually" then really picks up after about 30MPH, almost like turbo lag. Response is immediate though when passing or accelerating at speed. Sport mode is a little more aggressive.

The AWD version that I have on order does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds per Car and Driver, so that's plenty of a kick in the pants for a 6K lb car that I'm not going to track.

Overall, there is nothing from the test drive so far that makes me NOT want the car, well except maybe to price, but that is helped by $13,500 reduction from a combination of the tax credit, and the Cadillac "sorry we didn't build it when we promised" private offer, and the recent change that lets you take a $1,000 credit for a 22" wheel delete (they now allow the 20" wheels on the Sport 3).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-03-2023), Lantanafrs2 (06-03-2023), spike021 (06-03-2023), wbradley (06-03-2023)