View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 12:30 AM   #482
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont know where to post this, but i didnt want to make a new post cuz by itself its somewhat irrelevant....

I actually saw a white Subaru Solterra on the road today. I did not expect to see one in the wild yet (I see plenty of EV's around, mostly Teslas. But i have seen an Ioniq 5, an Ioniq 6, Kia niro, i think ive seen an ID.4, plenty of leafs).
It was fairly invisible, just kind of like an Electric Rav4. For all its wierd styling and cladding and whatnot, as a whole it doesnt really look all that wierd and oddball, so it doesnt make you do a double take.

As much as the smug EV evangelists like to shit on this car (and Toyota in general for their relative lack of actual EVs) all the reviews seem to indicate its a fairly good car...just not all that impressive as an EV since its EV specs are kind of on the bottom end of the scale.

To be honest why the hell would you even get an EV with such middling specs, like a Leaf or a Bolt or something. Its gonna be outdated after a few years if it isnt already. If i wanted a cheap used EV im not even looking at a Leaf or a Bolt or a Fiat500e or something of the like with the middling less than 200km's range. the BZ4X/Solterra/Lexus RZ seems to fall in that category. They're rated at 300kms-400kms. Its passable now but it'll be outdated on the used market in a few years. Its like smartphones. Nowadays they're so powerful that the only reason you have them is because they're newer. Im still using an iphone 8 and theres really no reason for me to get a new phone unless i want new tech....performance wise its perfectly fine for me.
an EV is gonna be the same, they'll hit a point where the range will be more than acceptable, and just be longer after that which usually ends up being kind of pointless. (My personal minimum target is at 500kms range, roughly 450 in winter, like my 86 gets). And the older ones will just fade to irrelevance.

I find it funny that i actually see this car in the wild far quicker than i did seeing my first Nissan Z in the wild lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-03-2023)