View Single Post
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #53
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: '17 BRZ, '24 CX-50
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spring update!

After only 1 month on the road out of winter storage, I got bored of the OEM catback.

I've been having a consistent crisis of trying to find an axle-back/cat-back that will add a bit of tone over the OEM catback setup, without the horrid drone these cars get when pairing catless headers with most other exhaust options; all while staying at a reasonable price. I used to have the Invidia R400 and while it was great with the stock header, it was brutal when paired with the JDL.

Axle-backs were definitely my preference as I get to keep the OEM midpipe and it's massive resonator, and they are quick and easy to install/remove in case the setup ends up being too drony for my liking. But, with axle-backs, the only previous options were obnoxiously loud but cheap (various muffler delete pipes), or prohibitively expensive but quiet (Fujitsubo S, HKS Legamax, Borla, STi, etc.).

As of last week however, that changed! A new muffled (!!!) axleback option from DC Sports just came out with a quiet, suitcase style muffler similar to the expensive options. I decided to take the plunge. Arrived promptly and got it installed!

The axle back weighs a bit less than factory too! Factory unit weighed in at 29.1lbs, with the new one coming in at 20.7lbs.

Welds are super nice quality, and the notched bolt holes ensures it bolts straight up to pre-and-post-facelift mid pipes.

Took it for a good 30 minute drive right after to get impressions and how does it sound? 100% perfect. Seriously. Has a very mature, smooth and pleasing tone. It's very mellow with just enough depth at very low RPMs pulling away from a stop, and retains its mellowness while not being too deep as RPMs increase. It lets you know it’s there when you're putting around town or accelerating hard, but as soon as you are holding steady state RPM it shuts right up. Very OEM+.

And the best part, ZERO DRONE on the highway! Literally ZERO! You get a slight bit of exhaust noise at speed (like a very light, pleasant background hum) but with zero resonance/drone in the cabin. At 130kph (80mph) going uphill, which used to be downright unbearable and headache inducing with my old Invidia R400, this axleback is the opposite.

This is all the more impressive considering I have a catless header. It is so hard to find an exhaust option that doesn't drone when these cars have headers. But this is definitely a solid option, and probably the most reasonably priced option of them all.

Overall, I am beyond impressed. If you are looking for a true OEM+ exhaust option that sounds good but is truly daily-driver comfortable, especially if you have headers, look no further.

Sound Clips:

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-24-2023 at 02:26 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (05-23-2023), RToyo86 (05-18-2023), Tatsu333 (02-19-2024)