View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #46
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
The rattle is actually internal vibrations transferred from the shift shaft just inside the gearbox then along the rod up into the shifter mechanism.

The trick is to try and dampen the rod mechanism as it exits the upper rear casing area, and then dampen the whole shifter arm.

I created a sort of "V" shaped bush that the shifting rod sits/slides in, wedged, on top of the large ring where the prop shaft enters the gearbox.
I use a very large zip tie that creates a small amount of downward pressure to force the rod against the "V" of the bushing.

That takes care of the most obnoxious rattle, but you still need to do some work above the tunnel, inside the car.

I simply take lots (lots!) of fairly dense insulation foam (the sort of black foam you wrap around a roll cage for example), cut it into smallish strips, roll them tight.
Then you go to town and pack/squeeze/push them into the entire cavity around the stick mechanism...so that it sort of fully/firmly encases the mechanism, as high as you can go.

Of course make sure all linkages, and bolts on the shifter are as tight as possible (I use locktite blue)

Its painful, but this removes about %90 of the rattle.
I'd love to see some pics of all this. Especially the bushing and how you have it installed.

Are any of you running stiffer diff bushings?
I'm thinking about going back to my OEM bushings to see how much that helps.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote