View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 01:46 AM   #4326
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
Have you also measured droop on the strut shafts?
No. I haven't had them out of the car. And I don't think that's something I can measure without getting the spring off.

Quote:
What are the stroke lengths of the MCS struts?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Are you also measuring ride height from level ground to the pinch weld at each lift point?
I did once out of curiosity, but that is harder to measure and not especially useful to me. Wheel center to fender is the internet standard, and most people, including me, don't have bent fenders. Modern manufacturing tolerances are pretty tight, and pinch welds can get damaged, too, so IMO it's a wash.

Quote:
Measuring droop at the strut shaft and calculating as a percentage of overall stroke is more accurate and precise than relying on wheel to bodywork measures. I suggest one third of stroke as minimum droop for street use.
If raising ride height by increasing spring preload, then be sure the amount of preload doesn't detract from the spring's usable stroke enough to cause bind, otherwise you'll need a stiffer spring rate or longer spring. If droop/bump percentage is adequate, but you feel like you're still too low, then leveling spacers above the strut mounts can be added to address your roll center concerns.
I looked a bit closer today while I was making some camber adjustments. The helper (or is it tender?) spring is not quite coil bound at full droop, so it could probably go up like 1/4" without losing usable droop travel. I have a pair of 400lb springs coming, and will likely throw a strut in springless when I rearrange springs to look at full travel and camber curves, just to understand what's going on a bit better.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote