Old 03-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #25
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
Thought Id ask the guys over the US on your experiences with engine failure.

Considering on getting one if my MOT on my spyder fails due to corrosion.

Ive been considering the following cars and i know ill probably wake up an ongoing age old argument. ND vs the 86.

Im really wanting the 86 given its less common than the mx5, but hearing about engine failures is putting me off as well the dull steering feel of the ND.

Is most of the engine failure attributed to the oil starvation whether or not its FIed?

I thought getting opinions here will help.

Its going to be my daily driver for the first 4/5 years, with the occasional spirited driving since their sports cars. after those 4/5 years ill be looking on taking them to track days. I plan on getting the car on finance so having a reliable platform will be essential. I dont plan on going FI, and at most will do the exhaust and header tune to fix the torque dip as well as get an oil cooler.

Im mostly worries that ill blow up the engine and then not be able to get a replacement given their prices, so on that basis im more likely to go with the ND and bite the bullet on the issues with the transmission, since the fix is more cheaper and it seems like its less likely a transmission failure to occur than an 86 engine failure.
I think there's also a bit of a culture gap between Europe and America, in the way that Americans hold their cars to a much higher reliability standard than us, but are willing to spend a lot more on maintenance than us.

Tell a European consumer he needs to change his oil every 9k and he'll tell you that's far too often and he can't be bothered. Tell the same to an American driver and he'll be scared for his engine.

Then again, I think those cars can be called reliable by either standard.

Random catastrophic engine failures seem few and far between. Most don't seem that random at all and involve some type of repeated engine abuse or bad maintenance. Not sure about the money shifting part though, you'd really have to try to misshift an 86 it into second, as the synchros would likely want to have a word with you first.

There's a few nibbles about these car's reliability, but if those are enough to scare a fella off, he / she should stick to bicycles
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)