Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,209 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Even on SUVs and crossovers, unpainted plastic cladding is a design choice. I guess it's technically functional, maybe, but for sure its first job is to represent a rugged style. No cladding = normal car. Cladding with no other changes = off road mountain wilderness machine.

And this is why I'm so baffled by the WRX. That look, that kind of cladding has never been a part of rally. On any real rally car, anything tacked onto the fenders is there to cover up the wider track, and it's painted body color. The WRX's cladding is purely SUV culture stuff. Nobody asked for that.

Over the last 8-9 years, there were a bunch of people saying "I really want a WRX hatchback but if Subaru makes a turbo manual Crosstrek I'd take that." Lots of guys willing to compromise to get what would effectively be a WRX hatch. Subaru getting that backwards is the only thing I can figure as to why the VB WRX is the way it is.
Subaru makes wierd decisions lately.....
Fans = We want an STI hatch!!!!!
Subaru = No hatch for you!

Subaru = the WRX manual transmission take rate is somewhere like 60%. Its a glorious ratio!
Also Subaru = We'll offer our best trim levels with only a CVT! The manual exists only on the base model! Because reasons!

Reviewers = The Crosstrek and Impreza need more power!
Subaru = nahhh its fine. (3 years later) Ok we got a bunch of extra 2.5's, we can put them in the crosstrek/impreza. But only with CVT and only on top trims levels. NO STICK FOR YOU!

new WRX = WTF is with the cladding?
Subaru = our focus group liked it (Maybe they focus grouped the Viziv concept where the cladding didnt overwhelm the car...unlike the catfished production car) so MOAR CLADDING!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
fredzy (03-12-2023), WolfpackS2k (03-10-2023)