Old 01-14-2023, 07:09 PM   #1454
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I don't know if you open to criticism but, I have a suggestion before you get to your Nomad project which sounds like will be a project of more importance to you. For your consideration.

I'm guessing your limited (to brush and spray cans?) given you bought Tamiya spray cans limiting your options. Here is a step I've seen many builders in the automotive scale scene use. Dullcote.

So often you'll find that the paint's flake is too large, even if you grab a paint formulated with a mica (pearl) instead of a metallic flake (like the TS-52.) By too large I mean it is designed for a 1:1 sparkle and isn't 'to scale' when down to 1/24 and tends to look like a bass boat flaked finish.

A neat effect you can do is apply 2-3 coats of Testor's dullcote (or other laquer-based matte topcoat) on top of your color. In very light, multiple passes.

As you build it up the 'flake' gets buried under light refracting particles in the dullcote, breaking up the 'sparkle' or refraction. After a few passes you can then apply a gloss topcoat and buff the finish to a gloss.Make sure you do any panel lines before any of the top coat as you may loose the ability to do a wash with the buildup.

The results are a very nice solution instead of buying and airbrushing paints that take scale into consideration like MCW paints (funny given you likely wouldn't notice the metallic at that size anyway.) If you build up more coats you can also get a milkiness that is perfect for old jalopy's with single stage finishes.

A nice example of what I mean by in scale.
Attachment 218134

Another technique I've seen lightly dusting on a similar solid color over your similar metallic paints. As always plastic spoons are fantastic to try techniques on before committing.
Always open for tips!

I do almost all of my painting with the airbrush. I went with the rattle cans because I don't like doing the pearl or flake paints with it. The Tamiya lacquers keep the flake effect to almost scale levels that I can work with. The pictures make it look way more "flaky" then it really is.
I use about 4 bottles of Dullcoat a year as I use it on almost everything.
soundman98 (01-14-2023)