View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #31
fredzy
Mebmer
 
fredzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: Sienna, GR86, TourX
Location: PA
Posts: 655
Thanks: 418
Thanked 492 Times in 304 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
ive been running the eco-hitch stealth 1.5" receiver that bolts onto crash bar/bumper after taking off that plastic cover paired w/ the saris all star bike rack w/ 2 full sus bikes for a few years now, no problems. i stayed away from slambert in fear of bending, plus i dont want that rack if im not dragging bikes
Nice. This is the one that the receiver can be removed when not in use, correct? I sorta regret getting the Slambert instead of this. I passed partly because I didn't want to take a risk and be a guinea pig to see if it would work on the 2nd gen, especially at that price. But I'm sure it would have worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I'm not too familiar with bike racks of the past decade or so as I haven't kept up. But for like 20 years, my dad owned a solid tube style bike rack that held 4 bikes for just about every trip we took it on. And half of the bikes were cheap, heavy, and bulky. That rack handled them like a champ. So in my mind, I've always liked that kind of a rack over the tray style. The tray style has always looked so large in comparison and looks like it brings higher risk to backing it up into something. But again, I'm very unfamiliar with what's out there. My assumption is, if you spend the right money, either rack can be very good. I probably agree that I wouldn't cheap out on something like this. But then again... if it's two light bikes going on a small tube rack like OP posted, I can't really imagine it being a problem.
The tube type is 100% adequate, like I said particularly if you're carrying simpler bikes (aluminum or steel frames, not concerned about the paint) and/or you won't use it super frequently.

The big advantages of tray-type are that they're generally a lot quicker and easier to get the bike on and off in a secure way, and much less likely to damage the bike or permit the bike to damage the car (loose handlebars flopping around, bike swinging around etc.)

I had a bike pop half way off my hang-type rack repeatedly. It was a nice Thule one, not a lot cheaper than a typical tray type. First time I chalked it up as a fluke - maybe I forgot to fasten one of the straps? I was extremely diligent after than and... boom, happened again, $4000 bike half hanging off the back of my car at 65mph on the highway. It seems the bike wiggling slightly found a way to pop the rubber straps off. I had a tray rack a week later and wish I'd gotten one sooner.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote