Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,461 Times in 6,164 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko View Post
I mean it was at idle, should I reconnect it to the OBD2 and drive for a bit then look to see where it is? I’ll definitely look into this as I wanna have the car for as long as possible.
I'm going to start with basic info, apologies if this is stuff you already know.

So, the OFT has software that allows it to interpret the 1s and 0s coming across the CAN bus. Not all BRZ/FRS/86 ECUs speak the same language across that bus, even though they use the same interface. ECUs in different regions and different model years have different CALIDs. The CALID determines, among other things, how messages are sent across the CAN bus. Example: If the CAN bus were a book, the CALID would determine whether it is written in English, French, or Spanish. The OFT is supposed to be able to read from any CALID for the twins, but it needs to know what language it it reading first.

This is important to know because there might be an error with one of the CALIDs in the OFT. Particularly if the OFT doesn't have the latest updates from openflash. It's essentially missing a word from it's vocabulary in one specific language. I think a lot of these were fixed over the first few years, but the OFT may need to be updated to get those fixes.

Step 1 is to find the CALID for your car. The OFT should be able to tell you that from the vehicle information(?) screen. My car is in pieces right now so I don't know the menu exactly.

Step 2 is to find out if there are any known issues with that CALID and confirm the OFT is using the right one. My guess is yes and yes, but weird stuff can happen.

Step 3, if step 2 checks out, connect the oft to a computer connected to the internet, then open the "openflash manager" software. You can get it from the openflash website last I checked. This should update your OFT software if you let it sit for a while.

Step 4, is to plug it back into the car and see if that fixed anything.

Once you are able to do that, let us know how it went. Good rule of thumb, advance multiplier should be 1 or 0.7 at first, or at least not 0. There may be further steps needed to get your OFT all set up. Once it is fully set up, we can help you interpret the readout and logs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-10-2022), soundman98 (12-09-2022)