View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #18
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I could design the heavy duty aluminum retaining ring to work. It would seal all surfaces evenly when torqued in a standard star-type sequence.

And I could design the gasket to seal without using additional RTV.
With a non-flat pan flange, that would be impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
The Ford 5.0 used steel bars between the bolts and the pan flange, torqued in sequence they applied pressure quite evenly. I feel like nickel and dime savings have sent many functional ideas to the scrap bin of history.

Similarly, it wasn’t uncommon for engines of just a couple decades ago to have cast-in grooves for extruded rubber seals & o-rings that only needed a dab of RTV at junctions. Of course simplifying castings won out favoring RTV everywhere, since it saved pennies.

With the fiasco of the first gen recall killing engines, I’m still confused why an anaerobic sealant wasn’t adapted in place of RTV. The entire clogged pickup and plugged oil passage issue would cease to exist.
I used to share that same outlook. You must be old too

Over the years technologies change and there's always growing pains. Subaru started using these sealants in the 90s and it has mostly gotten better. You see that trends now on the higher end products now too: Porsche, AMG, etc... With that trend has been a reduction in part numbers, labor hours for assembly, and believe it or not... leaks. While a clogged pickup is a HUGE problem, the $ saved is still there. If that changes, the design will too. Watching the industry trends and future investments in this technology it's only going to be used more and more over time. If it frustrates you in use, I recommend trying some higher end adhesive gaskets by Porsche and another made for the Audi RS series. The cost is a crapload more! They come off easier and one of them (I can't remember which) cures under compression and time, so anything squeezed out essentially dissolves in the oil.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
pope (11-02-2022)