View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
$26,000 and you had to buy two. Priced that way because any reasonable person (not just motorsport teams) wouldn't purchase it, and they had to do it for a sort of 'homologation' thing where the parts had to be offered by dealerships. To my knowledge, three were used, and the fourth was not used. The fourth one ended up being purchased by a member on here, and he later threw it onto his car. Not worth $26k because it was a 'markup' meant to deter buyers (like saying you will only trade a certain fantasy football player for an extremely unreasonable trade).

As mentioned in another comment, the idea was to get a starting idea from some people. I am fairy knowledgable about the platform (spent a lot of time looking at a lot of things), but had not started to dive into engine internals till recently. As for mounts, I already have upgraded engine and transmission mounts, and suspension bushings are on my list of things here really soon. Clutch is already upgraded, as well as I have a lighter flywheel. Yes, it will need to be retuned (already tuned by Zach, and will be tuned by him again afterwards). Wheel studs are a good suggestion, as I have not heard of that as something before (been lurking on the 200whp side of builds in the past).Thats an example of what I was primarily looking for with the post. And yes, we have campus security that sits next to my car almost constantly haha. I park in the back and thats where they sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Wasn't the TRD supercharger a thing they were only selling to motorsports groups, at $20,000 a piece and you had to buy two of them? I don't think this is something pursuable.

@Bergycheese348 seems like you should get a little more familiarity with the platform, lurk on some builds, and gain a bit more insight.

I think you'll need more than the engine service. What about mounts and drivetrain? Are you going to get poly mounts or inserts? Don't you need a stronger clutch? What about your tune? What about details like ARP wheel studs to replace the toilet-paper factory wheel studs?

Also, 86 as a college car? Well I hope you have somewhere nice and safe to park it. Me, I'd prefer parking a beater on campus.
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote