View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 03:22 PM   #142
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_ View Post
On track, do the front and rear brakes typically run at similar temps, or is there enough of a difference to justify different pad compounds?

On my previous track car (MK7 GTI) the rear brakes were practically disconnected, they ran about 300f cooler than the fronts and after 55k miles and 20 track days the rear rotor was only worn about .5mm. I assume on this platform however it is more evenly distributed.

My car will be dailied and see 8-12 track days a year. Since I live in an apartment and don’t have much space to work on my car, ideally what I would like to do is run the same rear pads year round (probably DS2500 or similar) and just swap fronts at the track same day. So my track setup would be DS3.12 front and DS2500 rear. Will be running at most a 245 200tw tire, but likely 225/40/18 street tires for the first 6-10 track days. Feasible? Or do I just suck it up and get to the track earlier to swap both front/rear pads?
MK7 GTI is such a different vehicle compared to the BRZ/86. The way it distributes the braking is very...modern Euro so that has to be taken into account. This is often why people used to setting up old Japanese cars will have an insanely difficult time setting up Euros.

At 8-12 trackdays, the focus should really be to run track focused brake pads. Commuting heavily means you should just throw in street specific pads. In terms of 200TW tires, the grip range varies heavily so finding a pad that can manage in those tire application range is important. A pad with heavy bite could be incredibly challenging on mitigating ABS activation on lower grip 200TW tires. Likewise, some better controlling budget pad could be great for low grip 200TW tires, but would be easily overwhelmed with high grip 200TW tires.

If you're dead set on Ferodos, focus on running towards the race spectrum of the pad setup. We can help provide some options!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Will_ (09-30-2022)