View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 09:33 PM   #93
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
STi Short Throw Shifter

I recently installed an STi short throw shifter (C1010CA100). It is not a huge difference but the throw is a bit shorter. There are no loud vibrations like have been reported on other aftermarket short shifters. It is a nice upgrade even though it is kind of expensive for what you get.

The install was all pretty easy except for the dust boot that covers the connection between the gear lever and transmission. I found it to be impossible to install the new dust boot without tearing it. I tried to install the dust boot by putting it on the transmission arm and sliding it up onto the gear lever (opposite of how I removed the original one). You can see in one of the pics how I slid down the original dust boot onto the transmission arm. I managed to rip both the old and new dust boots this way. I believe this is the correct way to remove the dust boot, but not the correct way to install it. I just saw a video where someone installed the new boot by putting it on the gear lever before bolting it in to the car and then slid it down onto the transmission arm once in the car. I am going to order a new dust boot and try it that way.

The dreaded dust boot:

How to slide down the dust boot:

Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote