View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #100
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Time for an update friends.

Took on the triple bubble cut this past weekend. Worked out great - I highly recommend it for those that can stomach the idea of cutting up the interior.

I gained easily 1" at the least and nearly 1.5" in most surrounding areas. As you know, the roof has the double bubble already, so while the picture looks extreme (nearly 2.5") that's deceptive as the headliner gets closer to the roof at the peak point.

Without further ado:

Easy to undo, only a few philips screws, three pop pins, a few lift points and two pinch blocks for the sun visors (gotta go from the sides, not fore/aft like the first gen). Complete pain to get out without creasing it. I creased it. A lot. Like a lot, a lot. But it's hard to tell when you're in the car, at night without lights on, not looking at it.

I used a dremel and razor blade. Measure twice, cut once.

Out

And in

I originally conceived the idea as a removable piece with velcro strips and shaved foam to get the offset right but being in it - maybe some color matched fabric glued to the roof and draped down and stitched in the existing headliner will work just as well as a permanent solution

As far as headroom goes - yep, it's transformative. I'd put it on par with the steering wheel extender. Kicking myself in the butt for not having done this sooner. Getting that extra inch moves the seatback several clicks upright, that allows me to slide the seat aft on the track a couple of clicks which frees up kneeroom. Now I can sit comfortably with my arms closer to the wheel and shifter (no more shifter extender needed) without that aggressive seatback lean. It also feels much better to wear the harness now. There's only a minor drawback - sitting higher up means I'm losing a little topline vision out the window. But it's nothing to complain about. From here on out the only thing I could foresee working is a foamectomy, which I may do yet because I'm still getting those painful pressure points on my butt from having pulled the support basket pan under the seat. I also gotta lose (a lot) of weight, too, that'll certainly help.

I'll report back how it feels at the track. If stars align, I'm there this Friday.

Any/all folks welcome to check the car out, sit your butt in it and see how ya like the space. Located in SoCal.

A little teaser for the next update

Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-18-2022), DarkSunrise (07-18-2022), Jdmjunkie (07-18-2022), Midnightsky (07-19-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-18-2022), Pat (07-18-2022), raisingAnarchy (07-18-2022), Ultramaroon (07-18-2022)