Old 07-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Alot of people who made the switch actually came from earlier first gen models, so like 13-14 or so, and they may have been modded. So alot of the impressions of refinement and all that are much more pronounced than the 17+ cars.

I've only sat in the new one and it doesnt feel all that much different than ours (I have a 2020 GT, so the uplevel interior). It feels newer, but i cant really say it feels "better". Faux suede is used in the same spots between the first and second gen, the hard plastics used throughout feels the same, theres a handful of soft touch material used in places the first gen had hard touch (specifically the doors and the covered center console/armrest), some of the switchgear feels better (the HVAC controls have a more satisfying clickiness to its rotation than the first gen's dual hvac knobs, the second gen toggle switches feel more like a toggle shaped button than the first gen's toggle style switch)

The powertrain seems to be a pretty substantial upgrade. I have no comment on that though, never drove one.

To sum it up i think it just feels the same, but better. You'd have to decide for yourself if its worth an upgrade or not. To me, I don't REALLY think its enough if you had a 17+ model with the upgraded interior. Base model or pre-17 is probably easier to justify a swap. Or perhaps the motors itself is enough to justify a switch. (i guess it depends on how much you loved or hated the FA20).
Yep anybody going from a base FRS to a GR86 is going to feel like it is leaps and bounds better as far as amenities and interior go. Anybody going from a top trim '17+ 86 or BRZ is just going to find the changes to be an incremental or no real "improvement" at all.

Although many of the new buyers seem to have come from early versions there are also a whole pile of "I never bought a first gen because they were crap" guys around. The internet crucified the first gen after the first couple of years and many developed a bias without ever even driving one much less owning it.
Lucky21 (07-18-2022), Sasquachulator (07-18-2022), soundman98 (07-18-2022), spike021 (07-19-2022), Teseo (07-18-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (07-18-2022)