View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #8
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
What if I were planning to go with something like an IAG built short block which I thought comes assembled with the internals, use a vendor to rebuild/upgrade the heads, and mate the heads to the block with new gaskets. Again, know I’m probably oversimplifying, but is it perhaps that straightforward?
Edit: sounds like it’s not.
i went this route and its really not as simple as you making it out to be. I was on the same boat as you. novice "mechanic"(meaning not real mechanic, does it for a hobby on my car), mechanically good, works on their own car and looks on the shop manual. i went through this and i would recommend finding a used longblock and swapping it out with your damaged one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
If I can remove/install a transmission, seems like installing a used long block would be about on par in terms of difficulty, no? Would that not just be a matter of getting it in the engine bay, connecting things up, installing accessories, and mating it up with the transmission?
Yes, i think its about on par in terms of difficulty. i think pulling the motor is easier on these engine but yes its about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
For sure! Long block is doable. There are some differences in the layout of electrical parts, so make sure the replacement is compatible. I don't remember the cutoff years offhand, just that it's a thing. I think @DarkPira7e has had the pleasure of dealing with it.
if OP is replacing the whole complete longblock without swapping anything over from his old motor then it should work with 2013-2016 manual motors. there are some weird exceptions but generally if you got a 2013-2016 twin you should be able to swap it like plug n play. they changed the connectors and coil packs after 2015 so if you get a motor 2015+ just use everything on that motor. hopefully that makes sense enough. OH it matters if its manual or auto, so make sure the motor for was a manual if you need that.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-11-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-12-2022), Ultramaroon (07-11-2022), vfrqqq (07-11-2022)