Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Agree with Pat.

I've driven and setup; Bilstein B14/B16, custom Bilstein, custom Megan, KW V3
Driven briefly; Ohlins, Tein, and Godspeed.
Ridden; JRZ, MCS

For a 99% street car with 1% sporty/track with a focus on backroads comfort, of what I've driven; KW. I want to try Koni Yellows on otherwise stock suspension, but time and money have not permitted it. I think twin tubes at softer settings are great street shocks that soak up most road imperfections, the KW V3's turn up enough to be fun on track/autox when needed.

The Ohlins stuff I've driven/ridden with is a bit weird, too stiff for the road, too soft for hard driving, but they may not have been setup well for their applications and I may not have experienced best of breed. Enough people swear by them that I won't advise against going for Ohlins, but at $2k buy in plus another ~$1k for a revalve I'd be looking at MCS instead.

For setting up anything; spring rates drive compliance, full stop. A 400#/7k kit is too stiff for backroads on this chassis imho, my progressive spring Bilsteins were right on the limit I think, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer in the rear. Yes damping matters, but the spring is the driving force in how the car will absorb the road. 3k-6k linear rate springs would be my range, and softer the better imho, which is why I want to try stock springs on Koni Yellows. Dampers should be compliant, I gave up on trying to be a curve guru, find someone who knows their shit and trust them (presuming they've done what you want before, if you're an R&D case be prepared to have it not come out perfect) or just take what's off the shelf.
The damping matters more than you think.

The 8kg upcoming CSG damper rides overall even smoother than the 6kg square CSG Spec Flex A, which rides smoother than stock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote