View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
waterpanda

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Melted off exhaust hangers...

Attended HoD's open track day @ NJMP Thunderbolt this past Friday (Jun 24) - met a fellow 86 owner from VA - if you're reading this sup Andrew!

Open track days are awesome - get on and off whenever. Very few accidents during the day as well - overall a great day.

Anywho, after a few sessions, I noticed that the exhaust tip was in contact with the bumper and the left side of pass. exhaust hole was melting. Upon closer inspection, both the exhaust hangers were melted off, and basically the diffuser was holding up the exhaust in place. I take that the exhaust just swung side-to-side during corners and melted off the bumper.

I haven't experienced melting hangers with the previous exhaust setup (Tomei UEL + stock FP + Invidia N1) at the track. I recently installed A350 header + Motiv catted FP + HKS Hi-Power v2 - and a dyno tune from EFI Logics in CT - this was the first event after the component updates.

My leading theory is that the Verus aggressive diffuser (present in previous setup as well) is interfering with airflow that would otherwise would've cooled off the exhaust enough to keep things intact... or is EGT just simply too high and there's a bigger problem I need to look into (logs report CAT1 temps ranging from 690c to 730c)?

What do y'all think?

Thinking of trying out the following:
1. Heat wrap the hangers + exhaust piping near hangers
2. Uninstall diffuser
Attached Images

waterpanda is offline   Reply With Quote