View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #103
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Sorry for long paragraph and going back to this topic but felt like touching on this.

I've been on the forum as long as @Tcoat and sold my 15 a bit ago. You can see what I ran in my signature. I ran an OFT E85 stage 2, and the stage 1 93+ tune with tweaks recommended by Wayno and Steve99 mixed in that I figured out in romraider.

@Tcoat is definitely right in his statements and their is no need to defend Shiv. Also @OkieSnuffBox explained it best the same way I felt messing with tunes, it was fun at the beginning but an unnecessary chore and stupid to play around with later. Nearly every version of the tunes if you had a CAI or UEL required maf scaling, LTFT or other edits. Things you would only notice if you datalogged it and had Steve or Wayno take a look at your logs.

You get some advantages like, not locking your ecu, easy custom modding with romraider etc. But all that becomes moot point when you try to reach out to Shiv. You really shouldn't have to rely on guys in Australia who are doing a service for basically free to assist you in dialing in an off-the-shelf tune.

He hasn't even been on this forum since 2018, his facebook page for support is filled with people having to help each other. People on this forum and that facebook page also began going way too aggressive with the pop & crack tunes. I remember way back when assisting with screenshots of how to do it in romraider in the big thread here on ft86club. I removed it after about a week of fun with it. However, when started the overrun settings led to a lighter burble and not an intentional pop and bang, now its obscene and unnecessary.

Also good luck finding a reputable tuner that will edit the roms for you without locking their work, something ecutek allows them to do. That's why people would go to Steve and Wayno who would do amazing work and give example posts. They would go over logs in datazap better than Shiv's late to game e-tuning datalogging.

Best bet is to get something with a reputable tuner behind it if you plan to go anything past stage1, most if not all will take into account 1-3 datalog sessions for free and make sure everything is buttoned up one time. If I splurge on a GR86 that will definitely be what I do.
Counterpoint.

I had an OFT and was very happy with what I got for the money and would do it again if a similar option were offered for Gen2.

I was very happy with the price ($500 all-in for which I could probably get back $250 if I tried to sell back). I was happy with the convenience and the easy to use self-contained interface. I used Stage1 and Stage2 93 tunes and the Stage 2+ e85 - they all worked fine "off-the-shelf." I had plans on having Steve or Wayno optimize my tune (I was almost exclusively on the e85 Stage2+ tune) if I had stuck with it. For what you paid, and what you got, I think it was a GREAT deal.

What I don't understand is people that seem to think Shiv should have provided full-service customized tunes/solutions while paying a mere $500 including tunes AND hardware. If you wanted that, then by all means, you should have gone Ecutek and paid the $1,500 plus to get initially started, and, presumably, more every time you wanted to go into your tuner to change/adjust something.

BTW, I realize Shiv also offered some custom options (at relatively reasonable prices) and that he may have fallen down somewhat on customer service there. Still, with all of the institutional knowledge on this board, as well as guys like Steve and Wayno (who did lots of help for free and even made a little WELL-DESERVED money in the process), it seemed most people could eventually get where they wanted to go.

I am sort of sick of people complaining about Shiv/OFT without acknowledging the considerable value having that option provided. I really hope there is something similar available eventually for Gen2.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-17-2022), Lantanafrs2 (05-17-2022), soundman98 (05-23-2022), Teseo (05-18-2022)