View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #306
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ive driven mostly FWD in winter, its all about the tires.
Anywhere i would have gotten stuck, ANY car would have gotten stuck.

AWD is the easiest and most reliable because you got 4 wheels of traction to rely on.
They're usually equipped on cars with high ground clearances, which also helps.

So far RWD has been the most tricky out of all 3, and i think it has alot to do with less weight being on the rear wheels (since most FWD cars are like 70/30 or so F-R weight distribution). I can definately feel the rear tires dont have as much traction as its theres not as much weight back there and it can kick out sideways pretty easily during acceleration. (all about throttle control)

But i do notice people dont really know how to drive in winter here......

-People don't seem to understand the concept of "rocking" the car when you are stuck. Instead they just gun the gas pedal, spinning the wheels at like 5000rpm, dont go anywhere and actually make things worse.

Instead you should be pressing the throttle and feel the car inch forward (or backwards) until the tire hits the bank of snow it cant clear, then release the gas and let it roll back till the tire hits the other end and as it rolls forward again you give it some gas...rinse repeat. If you are successful the car starts inching ever more forward and eventually you can just power over the little rut.

obviously you might have to remove some snow around the drive wheels but theres a chance you can get out of it once the car is moving....and in deep snow momentum is everything...once you are moving you can just plow through the snow as long as you can keep moving (cuz if you stop or if the snow was just too deep to begin with, you'll just get stuck again down the road lol)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-21-2022)