View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #708
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I went to drain the fuel tank, and I had an interesting thing come up. I had a line attached to the feed line in the engine bay going to a 5 gallon jug. I couldn't remember how much was in the tank, but I was thinking I needed two jugs, expecting around 3/4 tank, but in the end, I only got 4-5 gallons before the line went dry. I took the old ethanol to the hazard waste disposal, and I picked up 10 gallons of gas in two jugs. The gas tank can hold more than ten gallons (13.2 gals?), and I figured it was bone dry, but in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was more in there. Well, I filled up the tank up to the spout, and I still had maybe a gallon or less in the jug (9-9.5 gallons used), which suggests there was maybe around 3.5-4 gallons left in the tank.

I was thinking how is this possible, and then I remembered how the fuel gauge was indicating 1/4 tank for people who ran empty, which is 3.3 gallons. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it got me wondering if people had really really run out of gas. For those that did, when you refueled, did you put in 13.3 gallons of gas or close to it? If not then is it possible the gauge is accurate, and there is a separate issue, which is that maybe there is a crossover pump that is not working or something?

The fuel level sensor seems to be on the passenger side, so if the driver's side is empty where the fuel pump is located then the fuel will read whatever it has, which may be about a quarter tank. The one problem with this theory is that the fuel level at 1/4 tank, but just measured on one side, is only 1/8 tank for the whole tank, yet that doesn't jive with the amount of fuel I put in the tank.

Anyways, there is a fuel sending unit on the passenger side of the tank, but there doesn't seem to be a separate pump or anything to get fuel from one side to the other. There is just looks to be a line that goes from one side to the other.

For the record, I only hooked up the battery, and the pump ran with all the accessories turning on in the cabin, yet I haven't done anything with the Haltech software yet, so I don't know if this is a temporary issue or non-issue that will be resolved, but it seems like this is connected to what others are experiencing. Is there any possibility that the two sides of the tank aren't connected because there is some electronic controller that isn't working?

I recently pumped my tank using the fuel pump. (Needed to get an almost full tank of E85 out to run 91). I think there are two level senders and if one is high and the other is low the gauge reads oddly. Mine basically never read <2/3 tank, but I couldn't pump anything else out of it (pump was audibly cavitating). I ended up putting ~11gal of 91 into the tank and it was just before full.
The transfer siphon only works if there is return flow running through it and that only happens if you have return fuel from the FPR. Since you have no pressure on the line to a fuel jug, you end up pumping out only one side of the tank and the siphon never pumps fuel from the other side. I had to hook up the lines normally multiple times and run the pump for while to get fuel pumped from the other side of the tank. The solution for left hand turn fuel starve is adding an electric pump to make sure fuel gets transferred to where the pressure pump is.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cactus For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-13-2022)