Thread: Another V8 Swap
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 11:45 PM   #1273
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,415 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Haven't got too much done. Had a bit of a scare with the valve spring seats which turned out to be fine, but I had a lot of downtime as I waited on parts (that I didn't end up needing) and then finding the time to do all the head work over again. I originally thought that the machine shop forgot to install valve spring seats as I had found most of the old ones in one of my boxes. I ordered all brand new ones and prepped to tear down the head to install them... until the seats I ordered came in...

Quite the difference (old on left, new on right). Not exactly sure why, but I have double checked everything and the ones I got are correct. I got one valve spring out and checked to see if maybe they had installed new seats that look like the ones I got, and they did. So I have been dreading to work on it and pushing off the work for really nothing.

So after buttoning up the engine, I set off to test fit the engine w/ transmission into the car. Here are pictures from when I did just the engine:

New starter and adapter installed. Transmission has to come off to remove start bolts

Engine set it with exhaust manifold/turbo on the check clearance:

Pretty crazy the amount of room here. Had multiple people voice concerns on how far out the turbo is from the engine and hitting strut tower. Miles of room thankfully.

Throttle body adapter didn't quite work out. Throttle body sits in the core support, so I will probably modify both to work a little better with each other.

Fitting the engine showed me the heater hoses, chassis brace mounts, and those small studs at the back needed to be removed. So out they came: (got painted but didn't get pictures, then destroyed the paint today. More on that later)

Will be moving the heater hoses to the side with some -10an fittings

On to todays Fiasco:

Hits pretty bad here. Needed to go back and up, both up which is not possible.

Took care of the clearance issues with a grinder and BFG

Fighting to get the combo out of the car causes some damage:

Will have to take care of this later :/

So after I clearanced the transmission, I went to try fitting it back in and the engine hoist wouldn't lift the combo more than 1 foot off the ground. I spent 2 hours trying to get it bled correctly or filled with fluid correctly all for nothing. So now on the hunt for a replacement ram which is apparently out of stock at both local harbor freights...

Waiting on engine hoist so I can continue and see whats next. Lot of wiring to still do, figuring out transmission mount, driveshaft, and hunt down some missing sensors