View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #65
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Speaker cables act as "filters" as do some interconnects. But so does a graphic equalizer.
For me, I like my cable quality to be equal to the rest of my system. So, I use high quality connectors and UP-OCC cable where necessary. I won't fall prey to buying a cable because it "changes something". "Change" isn't necessarily "improvement", it just legitimizes snake oil marketing sometimes. People can spend their money however they see fit. But it takes a special type to market $50 worth of cable and connectors for thousands of dollars. Not my thing, I'd be ashamed to fall for expensive fuses, etc.

I did initially prove to myself that solid core speaker cable provided a slight uptiick in the upper frequencies by using thermostat cable from Home Depot. This was suggested to me by a nice guy on Canuck Audio Mart who happens to be a retired professor. I then purchased UP-OCC cable and braided it, terminated with low mass bananas using silver solder. They run to the HF input on my Totem Tribe towers, if you're familiar. I do hear a slight difference which suits my 57 year old ears. And it cost me time and a little money.

Incidentally, in the manual for the Schiit Freya preamp I am using it specifically says avoid fancy power cables, they are a waste of money. I still use quality brand name everything. Also balanced connections (XLR).

Personally, I am not willing to pay significant money for a power cable simply because I heard a "change" in the sound. That's for bored people with money to burn IMO.
We have the Toronto Audiofest this month. Time to see the most recent work from the late Dan d'Agostino and a lot of other crazy price is no object equipment. Maybe they will have the monster top end Wilsons on display.

I'm still into analog, in fact will be looking for another MC cart soon. Really want to try a Lyra but maybe not quite yet.
Toronto is a nice town. It’s what Atlanta wishes it could be.

Bryston won’t be at the fest. Too bad since they are a major player in home and pro audio and a Canadian firm too.

I’ve been pursuing better sound for 55 years. Got a 9 transistor pocket radio and thought this is cool… but how to make it sound better? So I don’t change just for a different sound. It has to be better. I used to have all Morrow loom of cables. But his phono cable had a ridiculously high capacitance which is bad for a phono application. I asked him about it and his response- “ no one’s complained”

I got rid of the Morrow stuff and now have a complete loom of Black Cat Cables. The 32xx series. Got a nice improvement. All copper. The very high end illustrated the Morrows were slurred. The Cats very clean but not hard nor etched. The entire presentation gained a relaxed Grace but still gives detail like crazy. I know I’m on the right track because I can listen for 5-6 hours at a time and still not want to quit. No listener fatigue. Zero.

They are built locally with weaves of solid copper wire with the return signal wire insulated within a Teflon tube. I’ve seen the videos and it looks like he’s using old textile machinery to do it. So he’s not sourcing cable from China by the mile and putting pretty jackets on them. The owner/designer builder is coming over Saturday to hear my system. That will be lots of fun.

Btw, my phono is by Jim Hagerman in Hawaii. Got his old version Trumpet before he downsized and simplified them. Check out his interviews. He comes from an engineering background. Phono design is a hobby.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue7..._interview.htm

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...LcsDFRR0ZeU.97

I suppose we should get back to car talk, hey?
g e is offline   Reply With Quote