View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #64
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(please don't quote me this is a long post)

Does anybody remember the TRD stick-on aluminum tape that was supposed to reduce static buildup and improve lap times?

".. that + ions are released into the air from the + charged body. It seems that there is data that when it was actually attached to a place charged to 500V, it dropped to 150V. As a result, the air does not move away from the body, but flows cleanly along the body, stabilizing the movement of the car. In other words, the car fits neatly in the rails created by the air, making it difficult to move left and right and up and down. If the air separates from the body, the air rails will be distorted and the air will flow away from the car, creating an environment where the car is prone to rampage. Is it normal to run the course without any work on the Mini 4WD, and is it with aluminum tape to run with guide rollers at the four corners?

The late model 86 has a resin steering column cover and aluminum tape on the side windows. Just sticking it on resin or glass is effective ... However, it is said that the late model 86 was not the first to use aluminum tape, and it was already set in Voxy & Noah, and even in Probox & Succeed. Actually, these cars were stuck inside the front and rear bumpers. That is the aluminum tape shaped like a hoe. The aluminum tape, which was created in collaboration with 3M, uses glue with excellent conductivity, and the shape like a hoe is thought to be easy to release + ions. It seems that the more sharp surfaces there are, the easier it is for + ions to be released."

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...n/1021904.html

For what it is, I'm interested to see how the experiment went, as seems they had grounds for testing static buildup effect on aerodynamics. I used to have a Toyota Camry with lots of plastic and resin parts and it would build a static charge every time I drove it and send me a shock every time I got out of the car, luckily the BRZ doesn't seem to have that problem.

Last edited by radroach; 10-05-2021 at 04:23 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote