cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Living Wage arguments aside, I can tell you that it applies well beyond entry level or lower paying jobs. I manage a department that right now has at last count about 10% of our approved headcount open and we are looking to hire. All these positions pay at or well above the current definition of "living wage", include full benefits with healthcare and 4 weeks vacation, and we are struggling to find candidates. Some of these are jobs that require little to no related experience.

Some of these positions have had zero applicants, in the last 3 weeks and we are basically training internal personnel to do more critical jobs to move the opens to less critical positions. The hiring struggle is real...

To some extent this may be a generational thing, but I can tell you that in past if I lost a job, I wasn't and unemployed this or an unemployed that, I was unemployed, and I took jobs to pay the bills until I found the right job. Just because you take an "underpaying" job to fill the gap doesn't mean you have to include it on your resume.
Is there going to be adequate flexibility to interview, prep, if you take a stop-gap job? Sure, lots of folks are going to basically work two jobs (one being job hunting) because they must. Plenty do. You get stuck there as often as not.

There are certainly lots of postings, but something is broken in the system. You should never have zero applicants - or is HR just rejecting them because of shitty software instead of people reviewing applicants? Is the job really that unappealing? If it requires specialized knowledge, how can that be gained without income to pay for classes? Or time because you need income to survive... And job search. And skill train. And sleep...
Expectations are now that candidates be above and beyond. 8 years experience in tech which has only existed for 3. Shit is broken. And I'm not sure individuals looking for work can help fix it. This one is on our very broken approach to running a business, I think.
Dadhawk (10-04-2021), soundman98 (10-04-2021)