Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
What, exactly, is your point?
It is somewhat rare for it to be a death sentence, but not extremely rare. It is still 11 times MORE rare if you are vaccinated.
Note that the death rate is also lower than if we'd just gone about business as usual, which is how everything else on that list happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Again, I'm completely dumbfounded. I find it impossible to believe that this argument is made in good faith.

IT'S A BRAND NEW CATEGORY JFC
The point of the statistics is to show that the frequently made assertion, or at least implication, that the choice is either to get vaccinated or die from Covid, is a false equivalency at best.

As far as making an "argument," that's not my intention. Not once have I ever suggested that we don't take Covid seriously or anything even remotely close that to that. I've stated unequivocally that getting the vaccine is a smart choice for most people, and that my wife and I have been vaccinated. I am not arguing.

At the end of 2020, for the year the statistics I posted, there were 254,249,919 confirmed cases...

https://covidtracking.com/data/national

..and since a large number of cases are asymptomatic or go unreported, it's safe to deduce that there were more cases of infection than that. Ignoring that and using the 254, 249,919 number, that would indicate that in 2020 if you contracted Covid you had a 0.136% chance (1.36 in a thousand) of dying from it. Far less if you were other wise healthy, and a great deal more likely to die if you were elderly and/or had other health problems.

That is NOT good, something to be ignored, insignificant, or any thing else along those lines. It is something to be considered and ameliorated as best we can. I've never said anything other than that. All I'm trying to do, as best I can, is to try and keep things in perspective.

<personal back story snipped because it didn't do any good so no point>

I guess all I'm saying is that I can't look at an approximately 1 in a 1000 risk (at worst) and use that as a reason to stop living or to live with even a remote amount of fear. I look at it, think, "what can I do to minimize it?" and "will my actions affect or harm anyone around me?" then act, live, and be grateful for the life I have and the people around me.

JC IS a source of strength for me, and the "F" is totally unnecessary. Science is also a strong interest of mine, and they are not mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. "Why" and "How" have always been my favorite questions, and I admit to being much more of an analyst than a feeler. Perhaps some of that is due to being faced with so much as a child that thinking got me through some things that were a bit too much to feel.

No arguments intended, no desire to change anyone's mind, no faults found in others if they don't share my views. All I'm trying to do is interject some hope and light into discordant waters.

Last edited by MuseChaser; 09-24-2021 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (09-23-2021)