View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Trdfrssx

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
It has been since 4/23 that the OP posted and they didn't respond so doubtful that the guys that did it or going to see it and post. It is usually just easier to go to those threads and PM the person. Search on this site is pretty broken which is why I posted how to search from google. Something, something teach a man to fish........

A quick read of the other threads though shows it only becomes an issue when you start trying to mix and match sensors from post facelift cars with pre facelift cars as they don't play nice with the different ECU's. Since he is just swapping his stuff onto a new short block then he won't have those compatibility issues and it should be pretty straight forward. Head castings are the same. The reluctor and pickup are different but in the thread with the 17' engine, the guy was able to put his 13' reluctor and pickup on the 17' engine so we know those parts will fit onto the newer block. He could also always call someone like IAG and ask since they sell built short blocks. Do the whole "hey I bought one of these used from a 13' and have a 19' is this going to be an issue?" routine.
I did stumble onto those threads you linked and it helped. I recently acquired a 2017 long block (for dirt cheap and only 11k miles!!) I have the heads separated since there was some head damage that i need to repair from an accident. I have both enignes, my 2013 and the 2017 heads off and I can confirm the 2013-2016 heads will bolt up, as you mentioned its the same casting. The 2 engines are almost identical minus the valvetrain and a few sensors and cam wheels ets as mentioned. I wont be bolting on my 2013 heads since the 2017 heads have a better valvetrain and like new condition.
I did measure the 2013 cams and there identical except they have higher lift about .0254" more (confirmed in the engine repair manual). I wonder if you can swap the old cams into the newer engine and adjust valve clearances. The newer valve stems must be longer to band aid rocker arm failures.
Trdfrssx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trdfrssx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-13-2021), Wally86 (07-14-2021)