View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #14
mkodama
86Drive Challenge

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Next on the list was to make something to replace the strut tower. I needed something to control just ride height, and caster angle, since camber is controlled by the strut bar and steering by the steering rack. I looked into buying sheet metal, but it seemed a bit restrictive and not rigid enough unless ALL the sheet metal was present.

So I decided to make this my first project designing something with spherical bearing rod ends. They would take care of some of the weird angles so that I don't have to measure them. They would connect to some threaded rod, and the other end would have a mount that attached to the T-slotted aluminum framing I planned on prototyping with. Added bonus would be tons of adjustability to change ride height and caster.

Added bonus picture at the end; you get to see my silly dryer-top TIG welding setup because I don't have much space. Aside from the lack of kneed room and uncomfortable chair, it worked pretty well!
  1. Plan out manufacturing techniques; laser cut stainless and welding is super affordable, easy for me to assemble since I have a welding machine, and stainless so no need to worry about corrosion while it's sitting outside.
  2. Figure out important dimensions and measure them. Get dimensions of pre-manufactured parts, which in this case were the rod ends, bolts, and nuts from McMaster-Carr. I hate mixing metric and inch, BUT using inch products gives me more options and better pricing. I decided to go a bit overkill and use 1/2" grade 8 cadmium plated hardware, because it barely cost anything extra.
  3. Model it up!
  4. Send part files out for laser cutting. I've been loving https://www.oshcut.com/ for instant quotes and the quality of their work.
  5. Check dimensions of incoming parts. I didn't have a picture of me test fitting just the laser cut plate on the top of the strut.
  6. Weld!
  7. Check to see if the part actually works and you didn't just waste a bunch of time and money. (Pictures of fitment in a follow up post)
Attached Images

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote