Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #1901
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
FWIW, Porsches have the highest profit margins and really embraced the lower total sales but with greater margins sales model. Just peruse the options list and see the prices they charge for things like paint matched headlight washer nozzles. They've really adopted the luxury brand mindset of making a certain number, and if demand goes up, just increase the price, with their sportscars at least.

While I'm sure it happens, by and large dealers will sell every last car they get in and don't crush old dead stock so them selling every last one isn't a testament to the desirability, and I'm willing to bet that if the twins demand were like Hyundai Telluride, they would ramp up production, but essentially the opposite happened.

The twins will not be a lesson that corporations will learn to make more affordable sports cars, if anything it just validated Honda's decision to stay away for the most part. The twins aren't even a halo car, or a car that speaks directly to the identity of the company like the Miata does for Mazda, or the Mustang for Ford.

Toyota knew this going, hence they had to find every way to save money on R&D and production.

I do like that Toyota is trying to produce emotionally invigorating cars again, but so far we just have the GR4 which uses an engine that I'm sure will be in a ton of CUVs in short order.
finally, someone with common sense!
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-10-2021), TheDonEffect (05-11-2021)