View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
built motor with 12.5:1 compression?

After some crazy knock sound from the crankshaft area, i decided to get a built motor.

Now i know its weird talking about built motors and smog but living in CA, i'll need to eventually smog the car. I'm assuming if i lowered the compression to 10.5:1 I wouldn't be able to pass a smog test? I asked a smog tech about passing smog if i lowered my compression. He said they don't do the sniffer test now for 2000 and up cars. Now he says it won't pass smog.

I want to stay stock compression with the built block. Speaking with my tuner, he strongly recommends the lower compression if i wanted to get to 400whp on pump gas. Asked him to clarify even if i wanted to push the built block with 12.5:1 comp i cant even go to around 350whp safely and efficiently He said 12.5:1 compression will never reach 400whp on pump 91 built or not. I know its called CA poop gas but is 91 that bad? I'm obviously living in fantasy land with those high power numbers. What are the most realistic power numbers that I'll get on 91 with 12.5:1 built motor?

I do have access to E85 but theyre not plentiful where I live. I will usually run some mix of E85 but sometimes I'll only be able to run 91. The power junky in me wants the lower compression and it would seem like a waste on pump gas i could only get 300whp on a built block.

TDLR; Would lowering compression still be able to pass smog? What is the realistic power goal for a turbo setup with a 12.5:1 built motor on pump 91? My tuner said to stay at the lower compression levels for higher power goals.

Last edited by jrhudson; 04-21-2021 at 12:52 AM.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote