Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Everything I've read says that synthetic oil is fine at even 300°F. Why is there such a push to put oil coolers on these cars? You want the oil hot (>212°F) so it burns off the water from combustion byproducts. Unless you're changing it really often. Why not just skip the pressure lose of a cooler and run an appropriate oil for the temperatures. M1 0W-40 to get the best viscosity index I know of would be my thought process as it should maintain its viscosity well as temperatures increase and still act like 0W-20 at startup. If your oil temps are going higher than 300°F or if you're pressure is going too low - and the oil cooler will actually increase post cooler pressure - then get one. Otherwise, why add the complication?
No one is worried about damaging the oil. The oil will not break down but your viscosity goes down and makes it easier to break through the oil barrier and have metal to metal contact. 20 weight will have a higher viscosity at 250 than 40 weight at 300. Oil pressure has very little effect on protecting components I will give up the couple of PSI drop for 40 deg of temp. Yes I run 0w40, oil cooler and still get to 250 at the track, 200 summer street and around 180 winter. 180 to 200 will still evaporate the moisture, it will take longer.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote