Old 11-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #1964
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
aesthetics and boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost View Post
Ignoring aesthetics since it's subjective (I hate the new look fwiw), I'm not sure there will be that much headroom to boost this engine. I read somewhere that the 2.4 is 13.5:1 compression which is higher than the already high 12.5:1 on the old gen. Not sure how conducive that is to boosting, but my knowledge of FI and compression ratios is pretty limited.
i saw the spec on the 13.5:1 compression later on as well and although that is indeed quite high and makes it difficult to create good boost numbers; the fact that it is extremely likely there will still be port and direct injection and more importantly the latter; boost will still be possible.

i would expect you couldn't do much over 8psi safely though and there will probably need to be a lot of finessing on timing for keeping knock under control.

This could be where a 48V electric supercharger for 5psi boost might be a more cost effective option for the extra kick on what the 2.4 does.

as for aesthetics, i myself find the front to be quite underwhelming and same with the back where the only thing i like is the lip spoiler which i already put on mine on day 1.

really hoping for toyota to take a big difference on the front grille, taillights and headlights.

will be exceedingly curious to see the aftermarket hack this ECU and see what can and can not be done. If it doesn't pan out that great perhaps the first gen and first gen refresh models become more wanted in the aftermarket crowd? That would be unexpected.
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote