View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Disagree that loose springs at full droop (totally irrelevant when the car is on the ground) OR the spring ID being larger than the perch will do anything at all for the noise. Once you're on the ground those springs ain't moving around except to do their job of going boing boing boing. I've had both conditions on two different damper sets and three different top hats, it's never been the culprit of any noise. Spring noises are usually a popping and ringing as the shift into a new position, they never rattle unless you've got a wheel in the air, and even then the swaybar can help keep the spring captured.

My guesses;
Worn spherical bearing in the top hat, most likely imho, an annoying fix but cheaper then a damper rebuild and Vorshlag should be able to send a replacement iirc.

As above, some MCS's had internal noise, you could send them to home base for a rebuild, but pricey and inconvenient and not a guaranteed fix unless you have a replacement damper set to confirm that's the issue. And I've read somewhere that they still came back rattling at least once so, not guaranteed even if it is the issue.

Plain old worn parts/loose nuts/bolts issue, endlinks and swaybar are most likely unless the car has a ton of miles on it and other bearings/bushings could be suspect.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote