soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fminicooper View Post
I am hearing different opinion on the ABS, some people says keep it, some take it out. Cannot make a clear path here.
I am running a NA, tuned, BBK race compound pads with 200 tires. Doing HPDE events.

which should the advisable progression be as a driver? Learning how to brake without ABS or keep it running.
What does faster times make for this platform? With or without ABS, assuming driver has the correct skills.
the theory for going without ABS is to improve driver capability (threshold braking), instead of relying on vehicle systems to keep the car properly situated. ABS inherently will not activate until after there's slippage. so by driving at a performance level that eeks all of the performance of a car without inducing wheel slippage, the theory is that it makes for a more competent driver, which can then turn better lap times.

the reality is that ABS systems have gotten extremely good. and until you're at the very upper levels of competition, i'm not convinced that the ABS system of this vehicle will ever hold you back-- i'm now more convinced that it can actually keep one from getting too far past their limits, unless there's a serious malfunction like zdan experienced.