View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't have anything to contribute (just reading an interesting discussion), but isn't this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Without ABS, you would lock the inside front and gone *further* offline and lost MORE time.

Without ABS, no matter how accurately the f/r bias is set, and no matter how skilled the driver, during trail-braking you are limited by the grip at the unloaded inside front tire, whereas *good* ABS it will prevent the inside front from locking, allowing it to continue to contribute to lateral grip, while at the same time allowing the outside front to brake harder and closer to its higher grip limit.
In conflict with this?

Quote:
I've studied lap times vs. braking performance, and IMO there is no way there's any more than a couple/few tenths between good ABS vs. no ABS, and I'm betting on the "good ABS" being a bit quicker overall for most of us!
Sounds like "good ABS" (which I take to mean good management of front/rear and left/right brake forces as well as not going full ABS when there's still grip available to some of the tires) would be worth more than a few tenths.

Quote:
You don't linearly add lateral and longitudinal gs, you RSS them:
sqrt(0.8^2 + 1.1^2) = 1.36g
Yep, hence a grip circle.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-20-2020), Hades (10-24-2020)