View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
prandelia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2015 FRS
Location: KY
Posts: 184
Thanks: 1
Thanked 195 Times in 80 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
I am not part of this TT5/St5 world but this idea has merit. Especially in wheel to wheel. There is currently a competitor in GLTC with this same idea. His idea is that it is easier to pass on the straights than the corners, so he sides with power over aero. In doing this he slightly holds ppl up in the corners but powers away in the straights. However his car is K powered. There is more potential to make power with a K than an FA20 so the results are better in his case. But if you can figure out a strong FA20 setup and trade aero points for power points, I think you may have something.
Sometimes. My teammates/buddies are who basically brought the K24 miata to racing (Winning Formula), Aaron Leichty, Rob, and Emile....my car is also prepped at Winning Formula. I have a miata too, but wanted to keep it as our "enduro" car for WRL, and wanted to build something different and to prove the FA20 is perfectly competitive in this type of class (or any NASA class), which it is. People shit on this motor, unrightfully so. GLTC is still shocked at how fast my car is, most people almost can't believe it. It's not magic, it just takes good preparation.

Sure, you can run less aero and build a straight-line bullet and it may work a a track like Road America, but for most tracks, the cars that are aero prepared and well balanced are the best, which is what we all race, and why at almost every race the front runners in the top 10 are all aero prepared cars. Sure, you will have a well driven non-aero car slide in from time to time, but it just doesn't hold up over the coarse a season.

I have to concede, K24's have the edge because light cars can de-tune from ~220hp, and run a flat 180-200hp powerband for a few thousand RPM, so when we are both on a slow 3rd gear corner, they are making all 180-200hp at 5500 RPM, and I am nowhere near my peak 200hp at the same relative RPM. That's the advantage. They have to carry a little more weight, but it's still an advantage, not huge, but just enough that they can squirt off a corner here and there and then I'll never get back around them. I certainly don't out-drag race anybody in the top-10 in GLTC. I have to do it in quali and in the corners. This is typically the same for any series the FRS/BRZ runs in, whether it's GLTC, NASA, SCCA, etc. etc.

If I can make enough power with this manifold, between that bit of detune, and the additional 6% of torque/hp that 4.556 gearing will put the ground, it should be enough to bridge that gap that exists between my FA20 and the K24 and other detuned motors like S54, S52, etc. etc.

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, but yeah, there is no denying the ability and ease of using a K24. That said, I'm sticking with the FA20.
__________________
'15 FRS - GLTC spec
YouTube channel race vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClU...phsppnA/videos

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote