Thread: Entry Level?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Entry Level?

I got click-baited into reading an article on Motor1.com thinking there was some news about the next-gen 86/BRZ. Since there is no real news and they have to fill space, the article was just a bunch of artist renderings based on spy shots of a car clad in camouflage. Yeah, tack on some Supra fake vents and voila! Shame on me for thinking that there was anything of substance motor news journalists can offer. However, the often used "Entry Level" reference was used. I know better than to be insulted, but what the hell do they mean by that whether it be a car, a house or God forbid your wife's jewelry. By entry level, do they mean that my BRZ is just the first step to a Bugatti? Not counting the people that get an 86 or BRZ with the intention of tuning and/or tracking the car, there has to be a bunch of us out there that just want to drive it and enjoy it as is. Entry level for me if I care to consider the idea would be the Austin Healey Mk1 (Bug Eye) and the Mk2 Sprites each being at least 10 years old when I acquired them. The Bug Eye could get from 0 to 60 in about 20 seconds if the wind was not against me. Let's go back to 1959 and consider the owner of an Austin Healey; was that entry level and are there dreams of a Jaguar or a Mercedes Benz? Maybe the guy has a station wagon and a sailboat at the marina. One day after seeing a Porsche Cayman, I put one together on the Porsche web site and after wading through all the options, which takes forever, I got something that had just what I needed and a few wants thrown in. The car came to well over six figures in cost. Yikes. I actually found one in inventory that would work for me so I would not have to order. I remember when I bought my BRZ. The decision process is I want this and this and then you pick the color; done. And you have plenty of money left to buy two more cars. The question is: With your 86/BRZ, do you feel like you have arrived or do you have other ambitions? If it is some sort of status, some people spot my BRZ and think it is hot stuff. It's rare enough and not many know that it is a budget ride in reality. One young lady pumping gas in the car told me that she thought it was pretty. The next time I was in I found out she was referring to the paint and how shiny and sparkly is was. Mission accomplished, I don't need a Porsche.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
JAS4 (09-28-2020), JesseG (09-06-2020)