View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #3887
dasting

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for advice on DD/some track work. Background - I'm a nasa instructor, recently gave up racing SM because I have two young kids and not enough time. Picked up a BRZ for daily driving, and to also take to the track a few times a year. It'll only be used in DE sessions.

I've driven a few BRZs on track. One had KW v3s And star specs, not sure of all suspension mods, but it was a total ball to throw around track. Very predictable, easy to pull back in if it got sideways, fairly balanced grip level with what I think were star specs. I drove that back to back with a completely stock FRS, which only had 17x8s and 245 star specs and factory alignment. That car felt terrible, constantly riding on shoulders, grip threshold limit was significantly lower and frankly it was kind of a chore to muscle around track.

I was planning on full coilovers like the T2s and sways and top hats etc to make the car fast on track, but the more I've driven it on street the more I think all that grip will actually make the car way less fun as a daily. Low grip has always been better on street for me, even though on track I prefer Hoosiers and high grip. Plus, it's a lot of coin for the limited track time I'm realistically going to get right now. But I want to be able to drive it to track and not have it fall on its face.

Here's my current plan - RCE yellows, SPC 14mm crash bolt and OEM 14mm top in top slot to aim for -2* front camber. Rear offset bushings. 17x8 wheels with 225 star specs.

1st question - what sways? My plan was to make these changes and then try and dial in sways, probably something like the 25/19 hollow RCE or 22/16 white line. Does that sound right?
2nd question - do you think this will achieve what I'm looking for - retain street fun while getting to a pretty balanced ride on track that allows the ziii star specs to hit close ish to their limit. I'm purposely straying away from stickier tires like Rival S and RE71.

Disclaimer - I know this is a compromise, all setups are compromises when trying to work in two different scenarios. Looking for something that doesn't break the bank but is at least capable in both.