View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #891
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
That interesting re the no difference re the drive shaft. I was under the impression there was a night and day difference. That’s $2k saved if it’s good but too noisy. I’m past driving mechanically noisy cars. Unless it’s for a sequential gearbox.

So just wondering what the major difference was when you had the motor rebuilt with regard to the performance of the Harrop and drivability.

Without being specific here was the rebuild an expensive project? Anything you’d do differently now it’s done..
Best you double check with others re. prop shaft too, but even if i'm %75 wrong, it's still a big compromise (in my opinion) unless like me you are chasing weight.

Small pulley made a huge difference, it does now go properly quickly....but its not cheap to get down to that small pulley.
I went down the low compression path with an IAG stage 2 bottom end (which in itself is extremely good value, and beautifully done). But then all the add ons get going... stronger studs, injectors, uprated valve springs, gaskets, heads all redone, fuel pump another ECU tune etc etc.
I ended up having some dramas with my ECU/tune/EcuTek and so took the chance to change over to a Motec... mega expensive, but amazing capabilities which allow a tuner to do things and interpret things they couldn't otherwise be able too. It also works in with the standard C-Bus/loom, so stuff like your aircon, cruise control etc operate as per normal, and has nice integrated loom connections too.
But you don't need it...and at aud $6300 just for the basic box...its an indulgence (you would %100 need it though if you went sequential for example).
You need to upgrade drive shafts, (and oil/water cooling too which I already had)
Overall it wasn't too ridiculous...probably ended up around the aud $14000 area including labour. (I'm lying, with the Motec and tune it was over $22000 and then $25000 at the same time for some weapons grade dampers...wife still has no idea...I'm dead if she ever does...)
Drivability is no problems, aside from the previous issues with cold start on E85, on 98 was all sweet.
I have the driver aids all switched off permanently (aside from ABS) and its no great dramas (I've got a rally background, and have always played with RWD cars).... although in the wet it can get ugly, even on the freeway in 5th....
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (06-19-2020)