Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #884
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
I've only just got my cold start fixed (on the new small pulley).... it was taking up to 40+ seconds of cranking to get her going. But to be fair it is now a low compression bottom end, and the Motronic had to be tuned from scratch. Its now not a bad start...but will never be like a 98ron start.
The tuner had a queue of maybe half a dozen different cars he was trying to fix with their cold starts (as it has just turned to winter)...its pretty hard,
'cause he only gets one crack at it per day (first thing in the morning).
In reality though, I won't be running on E85 most of the time as its just too hard to source, particularly on longer trips.
The gearbox is %100 fine, it did about 25k with the larger pulley, and only about a 1k with the new higher power set up. One of the benefits of not having huge mechanical grip with the tyres I'm running, means that the drivetrain doesn't (perhaps) have to deal with the potential loadings of stickier rubber...
Having said that, I do tend to treat the "infamous" 4th gear with a little more love.
Winter in Brissy is like summer n Melb 😀 So I can Understand your tuners issue. I was more than happy with the pulley BUT as one does you get used to the performance and start looking for a little more. It a $1k upgrade from Harrop due to needing a complete retune. Then add the extra stress on the internals of engine and transmission and it’s a big decision. I’m running 245/40/18 Michelin’s on one set of wheels and the same size Re008’s on another set, but even they break traction in second at ¾ throttle so yes I’m super careful going from 3rd to 4th, but as I said I do hav e a spare with 1400kms on it ready to go. I was considering sending the spare to Neats in Adelaide. They have a hardening/shot peening process that strengthens the gears considerably. Not a cheap fix but easier than changing the transmission in these to something stronger.

Interested in your driveshaft replacement. Still debating going that way and was considering the aluminium. I’ve heard NVH goes thru the roof with them so given I have STI mounts, drivetrain/subframe/diff inserts, and a noisy IRP shifter, if I do I’ll go the CF version.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote