Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #43
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: '17 BRZ, '24 CX-50
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I read that and then your mod list and felt sad. I mean congrats on the numbers, but if that is all it takes to be one of the highest NA FA20s then that is sad for us. I guess everyone just goes for forced induction these days.
Keep in mind that in my area there isn't E85 readily available, so we all run 94 octane. Also, note that OnPoint's dyno reads very low - a stock 86 puts down 150whp on his dyno on average, so the numbers are better than indicated.

Still, I think its common knowledge at this point that if you want the highest NA power gains, all you need is a good header (ACE A350, JDL 4-2-1, JDL and Tomei UEL's), a quality tune, and maybe a panel filter. If you have access to E85 then you can get more power ontop of that.

Otherwise, there's not much else in terms of NA modifications that can give you tangible gains in engine output and performance. The factory intake is proven to be highly effective and aftermarket solutions don't hold up against it. Also, if I got an upgraded overpipe and high flow catted or catless frontpipe added onto my setup, I may have been able to gain a few WHP (?) but that seems to be almost negligible at this point.

Could the FA20 make more power NA than what we've seen? I mean, anything is possible if someone chose to take on the "ultimate" NA build, which would probably involve rebuilding the engine with some serious head work, cams, valve springs, etc for higher revs and better breathing, and ITB's perhaps. I'd love to see it, but it becomes cost prohibitive at that point.

If you really want to make big power, forced induction is your best bet for the money, especially with the proven reliable setups that we have available for this platform like the JRSC, Edelbrock E-Force, Greddy T518Z, JDL Turbo Kit, etc. just to name a few.

I'm going to be enjoying my car as is for a while, but if I ever do feel the need for more, I think I'll probably end up with a JRSC. The good thing about going with the SC options is that the gains from the headers translates well with boost, so it's not a sunk cost.